To enjoy healthy and vibrant air plants, follow these essential care guidelines:
1. Lighting: Air plants thrive in bright, indirect light. We recommend placing them in an area where they will receive continuous fluorescent lighting or near a window where they can receive ample natural light without being exposed to direct sunlight, which can cause leaf burn.
2. Watering: Air plants absorb moisture and nutrients through their leaves, unlike traditional plants. Mist you plants thoroughly 1-2 times a week using a spray bottle. Make sure that the water reaches all parts of the plant, including the leaves base and underside. During drier climates or hotter seasons, more frequent misting may be necessary.
3. Air circulation: Air plants require good air circulation to prevent rot. Place your air plants in well-ventilated areas to make sure they will dry out completely within hours after watering or misting. Avoid enclosing the plants in containers or terrariums unless there is ample airflow within.
4. Temperature and Humidity: Air plants thrive in temperatures between 50°F and 90°F (10°C to 32°C). They prefer moderate to high humidity levels. We recommend misting the plants more frequently in dry or arid climates.
5. Fertilization: While air plants can gather nutrients from the air, occasional fertilization can enhance their growth. We recommend using a gentle, water-soluble orchid or bromeliad fertilizer at 1/4 to 1/2 strength once a month during the growing season (spring and summer). Caution against over-fertilization, as it can be detrimental to the plants. Here at The Wicked Plant Shop, we have our own Airplant Food mixed perfectly and in ready to use bottles for sale!
6. Display and Care: Air plants can be creatively displayed in various ways. We suggest placing them in terrariums, mounting them on driftwood or cork bark, or simply setting them in decorative holders or bowls. Securely attach the plants to their display to prevent accidental falls. It is perfectly fine to glue the base of the plants with a non-toxic glue like E6000 adhesive to your display or to an interim material that attaches to your display or desired placement area.
Each air plant is unique, and its care requirements may vary slightly. Observe your plants closely and make adjustments as needed. Regular maintenance, such as removing dead leaves or blooms, will help maintain their overall health and appearance. Happy plant parenting!